Hotmail account blocked and unable to access your account? To save users from fraud or abuse, Microsoft might temporarily block Hotmail account of yours. It happens if Microsoft found any unusual activities in your Hotmail, Live Mail or Outlook email account. If your Hotmail account is blocked you can’t use the same account for other services from Microsoft as well without unblocking it first i.e. you can’t access OneDrive, Skype, etc. with a suspended account.
Do not worry; you can unblock Hotmail with following steps.
Steps to Unblock Hotmail Account
- Visit https://account.microsoft.com from any browser.
- Sign in with your blocked Hotmail account.
- Microsoft will ask you to enter a phone number to receive the verification code. The mobile number need not be associated with your account.
- Enter the verification code you’ve received and change password of Hotmail. Now your Hotmail account is unblocked.
- If the process mentioned above doesn’t help, then contact Microsoft customer care.
If you don’t receive code immediately, then it’s best to wait few minutes, as sometimes networks take some time to deliver SMS. If you still don’t receive the code, use another phone number and try again.
How to prevent from Hotmail account getting blocked?
- Follow Hotmail terms and conditions properly. Don’t use your account for illegal activities.
- Don’t send spam emails.
- Do not upload materials in OneDrive that are prohibited by law.
- Regularly check your account activity, if anything unusual, change your password immediately.
- Use of 2 step verification is recommended. It makes your account more secure.