You should change Hotmail password every once in a while, same is applied to all your online accounts. Changing password in a regular interval helps to make your online profile secure and harder for attackers. So make a habit of changing password routinely.
Change Hotmail Password immediately on any of the following conditions:
- Your Hotmail password was changed more than 72 days ago.
- After login to Hotmail from any untrusted devices.
- If there are any unfamiliar activities in your Hotmail account.
- Your current password is weak or common for others to guess.
Changing Hotmail password can be done via mobile phone or PC. You can’t password using Outlook mobile app, instead, you have to perform the task via the web browser of your phone.
How to Change Hotmail Password?
- Login to your Hotmail account. Click on your profile picture on right top corner and select the option ‘View Account’ or Directly go to Microsoft account setting page.
- Select the option ‘Change password’ from the left column, which is just below your profile picture (or profile icon if you haven’t set profile pic yet).
- Microsoft may ask you enter the password as you are getting into sensitive info of your Hotmail account. You can’t change Hotmail password without knowing the current password. iI you are not aware of current password then you must reset the password.
- In password change page, type current password and new password and confirm on respective space(box). Your new password must be at least eight characters long. You should mix number and alphabets and special characters to make a secure password. Passwords are case sensitive so careful with the use of capital and small letters.
- It is recommended to check the box ‘Make me change my password every 72 days’. After saving this setting Hotmail will remind you to change your password when 72 days passes.
Your password will be changed when you click ‘Next’. You might get an error if you use the password which you’ve already used in past.
After a successful change of Hotmail password, you need to log in with the new password on all devices. This password change will affect all Microsoft services like OneDrive, Office, Skype etc.